As founder, partner, and principal analyst of Appledore Research, Patrick Kelly has 25 years’ experience in the data networking and software industry, with a particular focus on NFV orchestration and management, analytics, customer experience management, cloud computing, and M2M. Kelly met with senior executives, product managers, in each division, and customers at Engage19, our recent customer event in Nashville, to hear about our transformative vision for the future.
This post was originally written by Patrick Kelly and is reproduced with permission from Appledore’s blog of 17 de abril de 2019.
NETSCOUT has transformed itself to become a diversified supplier of radio planning, subscriber analytics, and intelligent service assurance solutions to the telecommunication market. At the core of its offering is InfiniStreamNG (ISNG) which collects and makes available detailed packet data for use in service level reporting, subscriber analysis, session decode, and RAN-based geoanalytics. It is the largest supplier of passive and active probing solutions in the telecommunication market.
The transformation of NETSCOUT has occurred as a result of:
- An aggressive acquisition strategy over the past four years that brings adjacent, complementary assets together in the telemetry, analytics, RAN geoanalytics, and threat detection market.
- A global customer base originating from strong relationships built over decades that enables NETSCOUT to effectively cross sell solutions in its expanding portfolio.
- A unified architecture built on ISNG that enables NETSCOUT to deliver new product solutions much faster to its customers and lower overall support and integration cost. This is a multi-year development effort to move vertically developed products from acquisitions to a shared common data model and new agile development architected as microservices to support different cloud deployment models.
- A partner-friendly approach to exposing NETSCOUT smart data. In the past NETSCOUT was resistant to open its platform via API exposure. In the past year, NETSCOUT is promoting open REST APIs to technology partners and system integrators. This approach should result in wider deployments of NETSCOUT technology yielding new sources of revenue via its new pricing models. It also enables NETSCOUT to gain market reach in countries where NETSCOUT resources are limited.
- More flexible pricing and packaging models. NETSCOUT revised its pricing and packaging models as the network becomes more software-based. Virtualization and workloads moving to the edge create a more dynamic network. NETSCOUT is enabling its customers to purchase and deploy its solutions in both a CAPEX and OPEX model. It also delivers its probes in different form factors including appliance, VM, container, or "as a service".
Appledore Research attended the NETSCOUT customer-focused Engage event held in Nashville, TN on April 15 - 16, 2019. It allowed us the opportunity to meet with senior executives, product managers in each division, and customers who represented all industries and regional geographic markets. CSPs that we spoke to attending the event included Verizon, Bell Mobility, BT, Telecom Argentina, Volkswagen, and Cerner. This was the 1st event that NETSCOUT hosted which combined customers with industry analysts.
NETSCOUT posted revenue of USD 675 Million in the first nine months of its fiscal 2019. Its fiscal year ends 31 de março de 2019. NETSCOUT revenue from CSP is 49% and Enterprise customers account for 51% of revenue. The Enterprise business in the past year has been growing while the CSP business has been in decline - mostly as a result of delayed investment by CSPs. Booking in the CSP segment are improving as CSPs prepare for the next technology upgrade cycle which includes 5G, Edge computing, and virtualization of the core network. NETSCOUT is putting a greater emphasis on leveraging its common "smart data" set in the security threat detection market. Most of these solutions are being developed from the Arbor assets.
NETSCOUT has effectively combined a diverse set of assets from many acquisitions over the past four years into a more unified enriched data platform. This data is now being made available to 3rd party partners via REST API's. NETSCOUT is extending capabilities via its own set of add-on modules that include nGeniusONE, nGenius Session Analyzer, nGenius Business Analytics, and TrueCall GeoAnalytics (formerly Newfield Wireless), and Sightline (formerly Arbor).
NETSCOUT is the largest supplier of physical and virtual probes with deployments in most of the top tier CSPs globally. The vScout is a virtual probe that resides alongside the VNF in a virtual machine or container, monitoring data flows. The vStream product operates in the real time data ingest layer and is used for long-term packet recording including session trace details. nGenius Business Analytics provides mobile analytics using preprogramed KPI analysis. TrueCall for RAN is a leading RAN geoanalytics solution with 3.5 Million LTE cells being monitored.
To learn more about visibility without borders, click here.
Patrick Kelly is founder, partner, and principal analyst of Appledore Research
Subscribe to Our Blog
NETSCOUT’s ENGAGE 19 Introduces Visibility without Borders for Next Generation Data Center, Security and 5G Strategies
WESTFORD, Mass., 10 de abril de 2019 – NETSCOUT SYSTEMS, INC., (NASDAQ: NTCT), a leading provider of service assurance, security, and business analytics, announced today that ENGAGE 19, the Company’s annual user conference, is taking place at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee, April 14 - 18, 2019.
“NETSCOUT customers run some of the most complex and challenging service provider, government and enterprise IT organizations in the world,” said Anil Singhal, NETSCOUT’s president and CEO. “In this increasingly connected world, our customers are trailblazers when it comes to building a borderless, integrated digital environment. ENGAGE brings together the experts in the field, in a one-of-a-kind forum that is dedicated to education, advancement and collaboration. This is a unique opportunity to learn from peers, share technical and operational challenges, and gain critical insights into solving the most vexing problems facing our industry.”
Why Attend ENGAGE ’19?
- Collaborate with Peers and Connect with other IT Professionals: ENGAGE offers ample opportunities to have some fun, relax and get to know your peers inside and outside of the classroom. Network with and learn from more than 700 colleagues from over 50 countries. Diverse backgrounds of attendees include engineers, architects, IT, DevOps, network and security operations, managed services and marketing.
- Ask the Experts: Chalk-talk your use case: down-to-earth conversations at the whiteboard with executives, engineers and product management teams from all NETSCOUT solutions areas allow you to get your specific issues addressed by domain experts. Discuss your individual environments, technical complexities and business challenges.
- Boot Camps and Certifications: One of the most popular offerings at ENGAGE - free contextual training with NETSCOUT University Solution Lab experts. Geared for all levels of expertise. Delivered via deep-dive, real-world network incident resolution.
- Hands-on Learning: Expand your knowledge and use cases for the solutions you have today and learn more about future enhancements. Visit the Demo Pavilion for hand-on demonstrations and use-case discussions with our product experts.
- Cyber War Games: Join us in the ultimate gaming experience, where attendees learn not only critical DDoS defense skills and countermeasures, but also put them to work in a war game. In this real-time simulation of a DDoS attack, you’ll run both attack and defense positions for several rounds and earn the ultimate reward: knowledge. Walk away with critical insights on how attackers make their moves and how you can leverage current DDoS defense tactics in response.
- Situation Rooms: We take hands-on learning to the next level in the situation room, where attendees attack and solve real-life problems within a set timeframe, with prizes awarded to the first to come up with the answer.
“With virtualization and the evolution to 5G, carrier networks are going through unprecedented change. Add increased competition from OTT and digital players to this, and CSPs are facing unique challenges,” said Bruce Kelley, Jr., NETSCOUT’s senior vice president, chief technology officer. “In my session, I will lay out the strategic vision for NETSCOUT solutions and how we are providing unparalleled visibility to devices, subscribers, network infrastructure services and experiences that also extends to business analytics and security. This smart visibility has never been more needed than now.”
“As we grow more reliant on our interconnected world, the threat from bad actors bent on compromising critical networks grows more perilous every day. IT and security professionals are under pressure to stay on top of the latest trends,” said Hardik Modi, NETSCOUT’s senior director, Threat Intelligence. “At ENGAGE 19, I will be discussing NETSCOUT’s latest Threat Intelligence Report and sharing the latest trends we are seeing across the security threat landscape. Attendees will learn what our ASERT and threat intelligence teams are seeing, testing, and acting on to drive awareness in the marketplace.”
Sobre a NETSCOUT
NETSCOUT SYSTEMS, INC. (NASDAQ: NTCT) assures digital business services against disruptions in availability, performance, and security. Our market and technology leadership stems from combining our patented smart data technology with smart analytics. We provide real-time, pervasive visibility, and insights customers need to accelerate and secure their digital transformation. Our approach transforms the way organizations plan, deliver, integrate, test, and deploy services and applications. Our nGenius service assurance solutions provide real-time, contextual analysis of service, network, and application performance. Arbor security solutions help protect against DDoS attacks that threaten availability and advanced threats that infiltrate networks to steal critical business assets. To learn more about improving service, network, and application performance in physical or virtual data centers, or in the cloud, and how NETSCOUT’s performance and security solutions, powered by service intelligence can help you move forward with confidence, visit www.netscout.com or follow @NETSCOUT and @ArborNetworks on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.